WHAT IS PENTOBARBITAL (NEMBUTAL SODIUM)?
Pentobarbital is used short-term as a sedative to treat insomnia, or to cause you to fall asleep for surgery. Pentobarbital is also used as an emergency treatment for seizures.
Pentobarbital may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF PENTOBARBITAL (NEMBUTAL SODIUM)?
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- confusion, agitation, hallucinations;
- weak or shallow breathing;
- slow heart rate, weak pulse; or
- a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out.
Side effects such as confusion, depression, or excitement may be more likely in older adults and those who are ill or debilitated.
Common side effects may include:
- drowsiness, dizziness;
- loss of balance or coordination;
- nausea, vomiting, constipation;
- overactive reflexes;
- sleep problems (insomnia), nightmares; or
- feeling restless or excited (especially in children or older adults).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT INFORMATION I SHOULD KNOW ABOUT PENTOBARBITAL (NEMBUTAL SODIUM)?
You should not use this medicine if you have a history of porphyria (a genetic enzyme disorder that causes symptoms affecting the skin or nervous system).